Chapels and churches in Disentis
Show all 9 images
Just above the village centre of Disentis is the Benedictine monastery with its baroque church, which can be seen from afar. But also the chapels and churches in the fractions are very worth seeing and a visit to these places of worship can be easily combined with a hike. We start the hike at Disentis station in the direction of the village church
Parish Church of Disentis, John the Baptist (open daily)
The first documentary mention dates back to 1261. The wooden, Gothic winged altar from 1489 by Ivo Striegel is particularly worth seeing. During the French incursion on 6 May 1799, the interior of the church and the bells were destroyed, but shortly afterwards were restored.
Church Maria Immaculata, Acletta (open daily)
Perched on a hill and built in 1635, this church is a jewel in Baroque architecture. Famous is the altarpiece of the master Francesco Nuvolone, which was created in Milan in 1655. In the tower there are two bells, which are still rung by hand.
Church of St. Sebastian and St. Rochus, Segnas (open daily)
The village of Segnas probably received its first chapel as early as the 9th century. After 30 people died of the plague in Segnas around 1638, the church was dedicated to the two plague saints Rochus and Sebastian. The right side altar contains the oldest painting in the church, painted by Hans Greutter, who has left behind several works in many places of worship.
Chapel of St. James, Cuoz (Key: Meinrad Deflorin, tel. 081 947 59 54)
On the Way of St. James through the Surselva lies this small chapel and invites the hiker to an inner stop. It was built around 1600 and the altarpiece shows the Madonna with the Child Jesus, which probably comes from the workshop of the painter Hans Greutter.
Church of St. Agatha/Sontga Gada, Disentis (in summer the side entrance is open daily, in winter the key is available at the ticket counter Station Disentis.) In the summer of 2021, the church will be closed until September due to renovations to the roof. As of May 20, 21
This church, built around 1100, is located on the ancient Roman way over the Lukmanier Pass and is dedicated to St. Agatha, the patron saint of hikers. A fire destroyed most of the church in 1387 and it was not until 1420 that The Abbot Peter of Pontaningen rebuilt it. The frescoes inside, which were created between 1430 and 1460, are striking
Church of St. Placidus, Disentis (open daily)
Placidus is the second Disentis er saint. According to legend, he was murdered around the year 720. On the altarpiece you can see the holy Placidus holding his head in his hands. To the left and right of the entrance, paintings show the beheading of the Placidus and the punishment of God. In 1458 an avalanche destroyed the building at that time and in the same year the church was rebuilt and it was given an avalanche wedge
Monastery Church, Disentis (open daily)
The first church was built in 804 and destroyed by an avalanche in 1459. On 6 May 1799, the French set fire to the monastery and its church. Valuable art treasures and the monastery's library were destroyed. Half a century passed before the village recovered from this shock. The paintings on the church vault are a work of Fritz Kunz (1868-1947). From the main altar of Johann Ritz von Selingen (1666-1729) the Placidus altar, to the right of the choir entrance and the Benedict' altar, to the left of the choir entrance, has been preserved.
Responsible for this content Sedrun Disentis Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.