Chapels and churches in Tujetsch
Show all 9 images
Like pearls, the churches and chapels in the valley line up and each church has its own history.
Camischolas: Chapel Sontga Onna (Key, Martha Cavegn, Tel. 081 949 13 35)
The first chapel in Camischolas was built around 1515. The very beautiful and valuable Gothic altar dates from 1517. Father Placidus A. Spescha, the wandering monk from the monastery of Disentis, spent the time between 1812 and 1815 in Sedrun and described the small church as follows: "The external construction of the same is unsightly, the interior decoration but excellent, as far as the altars are concerned, very pleasant"
Zarcuns: Chapel Nossadunna (Key, Vigeli Schmid Tel. 081 949 15 70
The legend has it that in 1622 the Holy Mother of God appeared to a pious man named Gionet, whereupon the chapel was built in the same year. It is decorated with paintings depicting scenes from the life of Our Lady. The church tower is decorated with a crescent moon, which also has a meaning in the Christian religion. There is a passage in the Revelation of John describing the heavenly appearance of a woman: "Then a great sign appeared in the sky: a woman clothed with the sun; the moon was under her feet and a wreath of twelve stars on her head"
Rueras: Church Of Sogn Giachen (open daily)
Already in 1491 there was a chapel in Rueras; the present church was built in 1730. It was spared in two heavy avalanches in 1749 and 1817. In the past, the inhabitants of Rueras went to Sedrun on holidays and holidays for the Holy Mass. In 1965, the request to be allowed to celebrate all church festivals and holidays in Rueras was complied with.
Giuv: Chapel Sogn Bastgaun (key, Imelda Monn Tel. 081 949 14 48)
In 1768 Giuv was still inhabited by 22 people in five houses. When in 1836 an avalanche buried seven barns and livestock on Christmas Day and claimed 5 lives, the chapel remained undamaged. It is not documented anywhere. According to its shape, it was presumably built in the course of the 17th century. The painting in the pediment depicts St. Nepomuk. At the front of the altar table there is still a painting. It shows the martyrdom of St. Sebastian. Next to the River Tiber near Rome, St. Sebastian is killed by tormentors with arrows. In addition, the fishermen at work and the inhabitants of the city who go for a walk.
Tschamut: Kapelle Sogn Nicolaus (Key, Hotel Rheinquelle Tel. 081 949 11 12
The chapel was probably built around the year 1500 at the latest by the Monastery of Disentis, which owned various estates and alps in the area. Tschamut owned his own rights and rights of use until the middle of the 19th century and had probably been a hospice at first. The tower stands on the edge of the roof gable and thus resembles those of other hospices.Very interesting and valuable is the ceiling of the chapel. It was built at the end of the Gothic era. The diverse rosette in the middle is a carving in fish form. It is framed by coat of arms decorations and probably also by house signs.
Selva: Church (t(Saturday/Sunday and holidays open. On weekdays, arrange with Giachen Monn by phone. +41(0)81 949 14 48)
After the fire of 1949 , in which the whole village burned down except for a single house, the new church was consecrated in 1952 by Bishop Christianus Caminada in honor of st. Apostles John and Paul and the high altar in honor of St. Anna and St. Joseph and John the Baptist. The first chapel of Selva was consecrated in 1630 by Bishop Giusep Mohr of Chur. It had three altars and was dedicated to John the Evangelist, Saints Paul and Valentine.
Surrein: Chapel Sogn Antoni (key: Jovita Loretz Tel. 081 949 14 21)
In 1679, the inhabitants of Surrein were allowed to build a chapel in honor of St. Antoius of Padua. The painting in the middle depicts St. Anthony during his miraculous sermon to the fish.
Sedrun: Church Sogn Vigeli (open daily)
The first church was built around the year 1205, which lay further into the valley against the Drun. From the choir you reached directly into the church tower. This is still testified today by the huge tower, which was built at the beginning of the 13th century. Whether a chapel or a church in Sedrun already existed before, can not be determined. Tradition has it that the people of Tujetsch dragged the stones for the tower of Plidettas next to Burganez, Val Nalps. There you can find such stones. In 1691, the construction of a new church began, which was renovated and changed several times over the course of time.
Responsible for this content Sedrun Disentis Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.
This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.