Rheinquelle-Trail: The race will take place on July, 9th. We ask for consideration on the trails. #fairtrail

More

Kapellen und Kirchen in Disentis

Medium
9 km
2:45 h
276 mhd
276 mhd
Kirche Sogn Placi
Kapelle in Acletta

Show all 9 images

Altar in der Kapelle in Acletta
Interesting churches and chapels also make the hike a cultural experience.
Technique 1/6
Fitness 3/6
Highest Point  1330 m
Lowest Point  1111 m
Best Season
Jan
Feb
Mär
Apr
Mai
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Okt
Nov
Dez
Start
Disentis Train Station
Destination
Disentis Train Station
Coordinates
46.705089, 8.854873

Details

Description

Just above the village center of Disentis is the Benedictine monastery with its baroque church, which can be seen from afar. But also the chapels and churches in the fractions are very worth seeing and a visit to these places of worship can be easily combined with a hike. We start the hike at Disentis train station towards the village church

Parish Church of Disentis, John the Baptist (open daily)

The first documentary mention goes back to the year 1261. The Gothic winged altar from 1489 by Ivo Striegel, carved from wood, is particularly worth seeing. During the French invasion of 6 May 1799, the interior of the church and the bells were destroyed, but were restored shortly afterwards.

Church of Maria Immaculata, Acletta (open daily)

Perched on a hill and built in 1635, this church is a jewel of Baroque architecture. Famous is the altarpiece of the master Francesco Nuvolone, which was created in Milan in 1655. In the tower there are two bells, which are still rung by hand today.

Church of St. Sebastian and St. Roch, Segnas (open daily)

The village of Segnas probably received its first chapel in the 9th century. After 30 people died of the plague in Segnas around 1638, the church was dedicated to the two plague saints Rochus and Sebastian. The right side altar contains the oldest picture in the church, painted by Hans Greutter, who has left behind several works in many places of worship.

Chapel of St. James, Cuoz (Key: Meinrad Deflorin, Tel. 081 947 59 54)

On the Camino de Santiago through the Surselva lies this small chapel and invites the hiker to an inner contemplation. It was built around the year 1600 and the altarpiece shows the Madonna with the Child Jesus, which probably comes from the workshop of the painter Hans Greutter.

Church of St. Agatha/Sontga Gada, Disentis (in summer the side entrance is open daily, in winter the key is available at the ticket counter at Disentis station.) In the summer of 2021, the church will be closed until September due to renovation work on the roof. As of 20.5.21

Built around the year 1100, this church is located on the old Roman path over the Lukmanier Pass and is dedicated to St. Agatha, the patron saint of hikers. A fire destroyed the majority of the church in 1387 and it was not until 1420 that Abbot Peter von Pontaningen had it rebuilt. Striking are the frescoes inside, which were created between 1430 and 1460.

Church of St. Placidus, Disentis (open daily)

Placidus is the second Disentis saint. According to legend, he was murdered around the year 720. On the altarpiece you can see Saint Placidus holding his head in his hands. To the left and right of the entrance, paintings depict the beheading of Placidus and the punishment of God. In 1458 an avalanche destroyed the former building and in the same year the church was rebuilt and provided with an avalanche wedge.

Monastery Church, Disentis (open daily)

The first church was built in 804 and destroyed by an avalanche in 1459. On May 6, 1799, the French set fire to the monastery and church. Valuable art treasures and the library of the monastery were destroyed. Half a century passed before the village recovered from this shock. The paintings on the church vault are the work of Fritz Kunz (1868-1947). From the main altar by Johann Ritz von Selingen (1666-1729), the Placidus altar, to the right of the choir entrance, and the Benedictine altar, to the left of the choir entrance, have been preserved.

Geheimtipp

Finish the hike with a simple and tasty meal at the Stiva Sogn Placi in the monastery.

Directions

We start the hike in a westerly direction to the village church, and we stay on the Quartierstrasse up to the main road. We cross this and continue our way in a straight direction on another district road, which leads us to the valley station of the mountain railway. We walk past this building on the left, briefly cross the access road to Acletta, but after a few steps we branch straight ahead onto another low-traffic district road. As soon as we reach the access road again, we find the signpost on the right to a short stretch of hiking trail to the chapel. We stay on the paved road that makes a strong turn to the left after the chapel. We follow this road to its end. Afterwards we continue on a road towards Segnas, we find appropriate signposts. It goes up, along a small meadow stream and over the Segnas Bach.We can see the church from afar. Now the way back begins, straight down through the village and on to the hamlet of Buretsch. Here we find the turnoff to the left to Cuoz. After a small valley we arrived at the chapel Cuoz. We stay on the way down to the main road, which we follow for about 200 meters. At the sports centre we cross the main road and keep right to Cuflons and Mompe Medel. Follow the signposts. In Sontga Gade we take the road back to the village where we pass the wool kiln again. We now walk past the village church and the train station in the direction of Cavardiras. After crossing under the railway line, we can turn left after 100 meters onto a hiking trail. So we get back to the main road and we see the church of St. Placidus just to the right in front of us. On the main road we walk the last 200 meters to the monastery and down stairs to the train station.

Directions

Public Transport

By train from Lucerne via Andermatt and Sedrun or from Zurich via Chur to Disentis.

Anreise Information

By car from Lucerne via Andermatt and Sedrun or from Zurich via Chur to Disentis.

Parken

Parking at the train station (for a fee)

Responsible for this content Sedrun Disentis Tourismus.
This content has been translated automatically.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.